Kayaking is fun, this is why it is one of the most loved water activities. For first-timers, finding the best kayak for them can be daunting. If you go online and start researching for a kayak, you will be given options to choose from. Simply because there are different types of kayaks. So it is best that you first understand each of the kayak types before you jump in and buy what you think is the best option for you.
Different Types Of Kayak Online
If you check out online, kayaks are classified in different ways. They are classified by where you sit, how you will use them, the structure, and also the built. So here are the types of kayaks that you will have to choose from:
- Sit-on-tops are considered as recreational boats that are perfect for lakes and calm rivers. Sometimes, you will also find them in warm coastal waters. Some of them also have enough storage room for overnight trips. They are very easy to get on even if you are in deep water. They are also very comfortable but be prepared to get wet. Sit-on-tops are also heavier and are perfect for fishing.
- Traditional Sit-in kayaks are also recreational, day touring, or touring boats. They are faster, they track straight, and also have covered compartments for your cargo. They are the best option for paddling compared to a sit-on-top and they are comfortable especially when air and water are cool. But with the traditional sit-ins, you need to learn how to do a wet exit, especially if you choose a narrow kayak. You will have better control compared to a sit-on-top kayak.
Kayak Categories for You
If you are planning to buy a kayak, it is important that you know your boat categories. But before you proceed, you should be aware that not all manufacturers are using the same terms. For example, a brand may use ‘recreational’ while others would say ‘day touring.’ To give you an idea of the categories that you should know of, here is a short list for you:
- Recreational Kayaks. These are sit-ins or sit-on-tops. They are affordable, easy to get in and out from, stable, and very simple to use. If you just want to wander off in the water for a short time, this is the best option for you. Remember, this is not a good choice for longer trips or when you have to face waves or rapids.
- Day Touring Kayaks. They are sit-in kayaks that are more versatile than the other boats in this list. This is efficient to move but will also be a bit pricier. They give you more control even in rough waters and they also track straighter. These are shorter boats so they are easier to control
- Touring Kayaks. These are also sit-in kayaks that are longer, more robust and very efficient when paddling through a distance. They come with a rudder/skeg to help you deal with currents and winds. Some of them have good cargo space but remember that they are also a bit expensive. But if you are going for long trips or for coastal kayaking, this is the best choice for you.
Finding Kayaks Online
When buying a kayak, you need to purchase from a site that you can trust. At Kayaks gold coast you can find here a good inventory of high-quality kayaks that are very popular worldwide. Now that you know the different types of kayaks, the choice would be much easier for you. Now, you are more confident that you are getting the perfect kayak that you need.